20110706

Help with damselfly ID needed

Not a great shot this one (I couldn't get close enough in time) but I wondered if anyone out there could help with an ID on this damselfly. I've checked my books and the British Dragonfly Society galleries, but am still stuck. It was flitting around over brambles, nettles and the occasional thistle and what doesn't come across in the picture is that the wings were almost totally translucent and silver. Thanks in advance.

Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100-400mm IS USM lens, 1/500 sec, f/9, 400mm at ISO 250

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tim,

    its possibly an Emerald Damselfly Lestes (Sponsa), but a very young one as most Damsels tend to look a bit colourless at an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roy. Thanks for your insight. I was leaning toward an Emerald, but couldn't find definitive confirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tim.I tend to agree with Roy ... very recently emerged Emerald.

    ReplyDelete