20110319

White-rot Fungus

I saw this beautiful specimen of fungi while hunting for adders. The rings of colour in the body of the organism were as vivid as if they had been painted on; presumably the result of the changing make-up of the lignin being digested from the birch stump. My knowledge of fungi is poor, however, so any help in establishing whether this is an example of White Rot fungi (Trametes ochracea) would be very much appreciated.


Canon 1Ds MkII, 1/1,000 sec, f/2.8, 62mm at ISO of 640



4 comments:

  1. Hi Tim! I am working on an essay on the subject white rot fungi and their degradation of pollutants. I would like to use this picture. May I?
    Thanks you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Priscilla. Thanks for your comment. Your essay sounds fascinating and I'd be thrilled if you used the image. All I ask is would it be possible to include a credit if the essay is to be published. Many thanks, Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid it won't.. Hah, I'm just a Biotechnology student, and this essay is for the subject Biochemistry. Nevertheless, I will mention you!
    I also love photography, so I'll check out your other photos too.
    Cheers, and thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Priscilla. Then the very best with your studies and good luck with the essay. Kind regards, Tim

    ReplyDelete