20110611

Blackbird (Turdus merula)

I don't know how far juvenile Blackbirds range from the nest in which they hatched, but this individual has become something of a fixture around the feeding station in one corner of the garden. Today – in an effort to get even closer to the action – I secreted myself under camouflage netting and it seemed to work. This chap normally waits for the feeders to be busy with tits and finches before he hops down on to the grass to see what's around and this afternoon was no exception. And the subterfuge seemed to work well; he was content to scurry around just a couple of metres from me, allowing me to get these shots of the bird picking up a mealworm take-away.

Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100-400mm IS USM lens, 1/125 sec, f/5.6, 400mm at ISO 400, tripod-mounted



2 comments:

  1. Excellent images Tim. Good to see you giving the young blackbird a helping hand :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos Tim.

    Looking through some of your recent posts I thought the Ruff and the Bearded Tit photos were particularly stunning!!

    ReplyDelete