20110604

Female blackbird (Turdus merula)

I spent hours this afternoon lying on my stomach in the garden in an attempt to capture some of our common garden birds where they like to spend much of their time – on the ground foraging. I was rewarded with this beautiful female blackbird taking a well-earned drink. The water droplet was an added bonus.

Canon 1Ds MkII, 1/250 sec, f/8, 400mm at ISO 640

PS: I've now learned this is, in fact, a juvenile male.

PPS: I've also now added two further shots of what I believe is the same bird taken a few days earlier.




3 comments:

  1. Excellent cature Tim! The Blackbird is actually a young immature, a Male by the looks of the dark primaries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks Warren. An excellent spot. I had thought – obviously mistakenly – that it was a female because of its large size, but you're right about those wing feathers. Many thanks for putting me right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful shot! That Warren is so darned clever, I wish I knew as much as he does.

    ReplyDelete