20130421

Selection of adders

What a morning! I resisted the temptation of a Sunday morning lie-in and I'm so glad I did. It turned out to be my best adder-spotting session so far. After leaving it far too late yesterday (the adders were nicely warmed up and far to lively to stay around for photographs) this morning I got up early and was in position in Holt Country Park in North Norfolk as the spring sun began to spread its warmth. The result was that the adders were keen to bask in the early morning heat to warm up their metabolism rather than shuffle off and I bagged a number of sightings – 12 males and two females, the second of which was a vivid pearlescent lime-white with a black head. Then, as I was preparing to leave, I bumped into Ian and Jane, a lovely couple who'd set out from Norwich in the hope of seeing their first adder. They, too, had been searching for a couple of hours, but with no luck. Together we walked back to where I had last seen a female and two males and, fortunately, they were still around and I was able to take the couple straight to them. The couple were thrilled, but I really enjoyed being able to pass on a few tips and help them achieve their very first encounter with what I think is one our most enigmatic, engaging and beautiful wild creatures.

Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100mm prime macro lens, 1/200th sec, f/13, 100mm at ISO 400
Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100mm prime macro lens, 1/200th sec, f/13, 100mm at ISO 400

Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100mm prime macro lens, 1/320 sec, f/13, 400mm at ISO 400


Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100mm prime macro lens, 1/640th sec, f/8, 100mm at ISO 400


Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100mm prime macro lens, 1/640th sec, f/8, 100mm at ISO 400

Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100mm prime macro lens, 1/250th sec, f/4.5, 100mm at ISO 400

Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100mm prime macro lens, 1/250th sec, f/4.5, 100mm at ISO 400

Canon 1Ds MkII, Canon 100-400mm IS USM L lens, 1/400th sec, f/13, 400mm at ISO 400

6 comments:

  1. Tim, your photos of the adders are wonderfully intricate in detail. I can't stop looking at them. We were very pleased to meet you and so grateful to you for showing us where they were. We enjoyed another 45 mins or so observing. Thanks for passing on your knowledge of their habits and behaviour too; we will definitely be back to Holt Lowes and next time, we will be in the right area at the right time! Best wishes, Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jane. I'm glad they showed up for you both. See you in the Lowes again, I hope. All best, Tim

      Delete
  2. What a superb set of photos :) I haven't seen an adder for years (believed to be probably extinct in Warwickshire these days) so such a treat to see your wonderful images :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ragged Robin. Thanks for your kind comment. I didn't realise they were so rare in your neck of the woods. I looked up the Warwickshire Country Council action on wildlife plan and it says that "the adder has been recorded at only 3 sites in Warwickshire in the last 5 years, but the current survey may confirm one other, giving a total of 4 out of the original 18 since 1960. It is therefore considered to be of rare occurrence in the county". The adder does, of course, prefer sandy/stony soil but it's still a sad demise. Thanks again – Tim

      Delete
  3. Wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Toffeeapple, much appreciated – Tim

      Delete